Help with specific databases
Academic Search Complete
- Searching Academic Search Complete A video from WCU librarians on how to search Academic Search Complete.
- ComDisDome Tutorial This tutorial shows how to use the ComDisDome database for finding research in the Communication Sciences and Disorders.
- JSTOR advanced searching A video on using JSTOR's advanced search, from the vendor.>
- Introduction to LexisNexis Academic This video, from the vendor, shows the basics of using the LexisNexis Academic database.
- Finding Landmark US Cases This short video shows you how to use LexisNexis to find important US legal cases. From the vendor.
- Library Catalog, Searching by Title This video will show you how to search for specific books or videos in WCU Libraries' PILOT Catalog.
- MEDLINE Tutorial This tutorial from Walt Cressler, WCU Science Librarian, shows advanced techniques for searching in MEDLINE.
- Natural Standard This 9-minute video introduces the Natural Standard database content and how to search it. From the vendor.
- Project Muse This video shows the basics of searching the database Project Muse. Made by Reading Area Community College Librarians through a grant project with PASSHE libraries.
- Welcome to SciFinder This video teaches how to use SciFinder to find scholarly articles.
- SciFinder: Get Substances and Reactions This video shows how to use SciFinder to look up particular substances and their reactions.
Seventeenth and Eighteenth Century Burney Collection Newspapers
- Searching the Burney Collection A video from WCU student Alexa Mastella on how to search the Burney Collection Newspapers Database.
Do you have a request for a library video about database searching or research? If so please email Rachel McMullin, email@example.com
Films on Demand - Technical Tips
Having trouble playing FoD videos? Blank screen or very slow, causing it to time out? Browser security settings or lack of an updated video-player (Windows Media Player, QuickTime or Flash) on the computer can create problems. Try these steps:
- First of all, try the Configuration Test on the Help page, http://digital.films.com/configurationtest.aspx
Run the test with the embedded video box to see if any major errors are reported. For example, it may be useful to install or update QuickTime: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
- In your Internet Explorer browser, go to > Tools > Compatibility Settings (or Compatibility View) & select Display all websites in Compatibility View. Now close Internet Explorer, re-open it, and try Films on Demand again. Loading and response time for the video streaming should improve. If not, please contact the WCU Electronic Resources Librarian, Jane Hutton: firstname.lastname@example.org or 610.436.2453
Films on Demand also provides several tip sheets:
Click on a letter tab/Page above to find links to databases by name, e.g. "A -- B" to find a link to Academic Search Complete.
Hover over the Subjects tab/Page to go to Pages that list databases by academic discipline.
Need Help? see information on the rest of this page.
Access to Library Databases
To access the library databases, log in with your WCU username & password - or your library barcode number on the back of your ID card. For more information, see our Help page.
Graduate students without ID cards should be able to access the databases with your WCU username/password, but you will need a barcode authentication number for using E-Z Borrow interlibrary loan. To obtain one of these numbers, please fill out this form.
Still having problems? Contact the library reference desk via phone: 610.436.2453 ; text: 610-915-8659 ; or email: email@example.com
Need Research Help?
See our Library Research Guides for subject areas and specific courses!
You can get help from a librarian through email: firstname.lastname@example.org
phone:610.436.2453 or txt:610-915-8659
Reference hours vary during breaks and summer.
Mon- Thurs 8:30 am-10:00 pm
Friday 8:30 am-5:00 pm
Saturday 12:00 pm-5:00 pm
Sunday 12:00 pm-10:00 pm