WCU librarians can offer discipline and topic-specific introductions to library research to your classes. Although librarians provide instruction for many writing and speaking (WRT and SPK) courses, we encourage faculty from all disciplines to bring their classes for more specialized or advanced instruction in library resources and services. To schedule a class, or, if you have questions about library instruction, please contact your Subject Coordinator Librarian (see list to the right) or Rachel McMullin, Information Literacy Librarian (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Library instruction is usually provided in (but not limited to) the library classroom in Room 309. This room is equipped with 30 networked computers, a projector, and printer. We also have a second classroom, Room 409. This room is equipped with a computer and smart board, but does not have a printer or computers for students. If you also plan a research day with your class, we strongly recommend that you schedule the classroom in Room 309 for use with your students. We encourage you to ask a librarian to participate in research days.
The following guidelines have been established for the use of Library classrooms 309 and 409:
1. The intended use of rooms 309 and 409 is for library instruction, research sessions, and library events.
2. Faculty should contact the librarian for their department to schedule library instruction sessions and follow-up research sessions.
3. Faculty are strongly encouraged to have a librarian present at follow-up research sessions. Reservations can only be made one week in advance for session without a librarian present during the first eight weeks of the semester, due to high demand for instruction.
4. Room reservations for purposes other than library instruction or research sessions will be accepted on a case by case basis. These bookings will not be accepted for the first eight weeks of the semester. Contact the library reference desk at email@example.com or 610.436.2453 to schedule.
5. Librarian or faculty member reserving the room is responsible for maintain security by not allowing students to be unattended.
6. No student-sponsored events will be scheduled.
7. No food or beverages permitted.
8. In case of any disputed bookings, please contact the Associate University Librarian, Amy Ward, firstname.lastname@example.org, or the University Librarian, Trish Lenkowski, email@example.com, for approval at 610.436.2747.
Ready to schedule classes? You can view the library's instruction calendar to see if the classroom is free during your desired dates/times. You will still need to contact your subject coordinator librarian to actually book the classroom and to confirm the librarian's availabilty to teach the classes.
In addition to classroom instruction, we can also put together a course-specific research guide that can lead your students to the best resources for their research topics. These guides can be embedded into D2L, providing easy access for your students. Check out our Research Guides homepage to see examples of course guides.
We have also been developing a collection of short videos on information literacy and research topics. The videos cover a range of topics from general (e.g. evaluating websites and using wikipedia) to how to navigate specific databases to using WCU Libraries' services (e.g. interlibrary loan). Please see the Help Videos page for a listing and descriptions of the videos.
If you want a research guide or videos for one or more courses, see the list of subject coordinator librarians below and contact your librarian.
|Anthropology & Sociology||Mame Purcefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Children’s Literature||Dan Feinbergemail@example.com|
|Communication Sciences & Disorders||Walt Cresslerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Communication Studies||Clayton Garthwaitemail@example.com|
|Computer Science||Kerry Waltonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Counselor Education||Dan Feinbergemail@example.com|
|Criminal Justice||Michelle Donlinfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Early and Middle Grades Ed.||Dan Feinbergemail@example.com|
|Economics and Finance||Stephen Marvinfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Educational Services||Mame Purceemail@example.com|
|Ethnic Studies||Mame Purcefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Geology and Astronomy||Walt Cressleremail@example.com|
|Honors College||Mame Purcefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Languages and Cultures||Pat Newlandemail@example.com|
|Nutrition and Dietetics||Walt Cresslerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Political Science||Michelle Donlinemail@example.com|
|Prof. and Secondary Education||Dan Feinbergfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Public Policy & Admin.||Michelle Donlinemail@example.com|
|Social Work||Michelle Donlinfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Special Education||Danielle Skaggsemail@example.com|
|Sports Medicine||Walt Cresslerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Theatre and Dance||Pat Newlandemail@example.com|
|Women’s Studies||Jean Burtonfirstname.lastname@example.org|